Sunday, August 18, 2013

YouTube week starts tomorrow


I am excited to announce that "YouTube Week" begins tomorrow here at GurneyJourney. 
A new video will be released each day, starting Monday morning with a short film about how an unexpected downpour foiled a painting day.


On Tuesday I will officially release my first DVD/download. I have worked hard on it, and I tried to incorporate the 81 comments of great feedback you gave me about what you wanted in an art instruction video.  


Throughout the week I'll offer free DIY instructional videos, including how to make dimensional letters that you can animate for your own Hollywood-style motion graphic title.


On Saturday, August 24th at 7pm Eastern time, I'll be the first visual artist to try out the new event-streaming service called Concert Window Open. Wherever you are in the world, you can hang out with me as I demo various techniques and answer your live questions. Let me know in the comments what you'd like me to cover during the webcast.

Please tell your friends on Twitter and Facebook to follow the blog this week. And this might be a good time to subscribe to my YouTube channel. You can set up your YouTube subscription to notify you about my new uploads even before the regular blog readers get to see them.

8 comments:

Adam Stolterman said...

Hi James!

I can not tell you how exited i am about the dvd! I can't wait to buy it! And i want to add that ever since i read dinotopia when i was a kid that book, and your blog when i found it, have both been the greatest source of inspiration for me. And thanks to you i am now freelancing as a concept artist and illustrator. Thank you so much for giving so much to the art community, and to me. You are the greatest!

Juha Peuhkuri said...

I'm looking forward to the videos and the download. As always, thanks for being awesome!

Ezra Suko said...

Congrats on these new accomplishments! Very exciting! Can't wait to see!

RobNonStop said...

Looking forward to seeing your DVD, just tweeted it.

Because I’m interested in development of skills, I would like to know what you notice the most when you look at your earlier work, what would you do differently now or which part of painting/drawing have you improved the most in?

Did you notice it back then and didn’t know how to improve it or did you not notice it at all?

Anonymous said...

i would love to see you plan the gamut mask for your painting.

Unknown said...

OMG! I am so excited! I love your books, I love your blog, I love your parakeet and I am SURE I am going to love the new instructional video!!!

I can't tell you the number of times that I have wanted to email you with technical questions, but didn't want to be one of those pesky email types. I hope that those of us that buy the video will have permission to email you questions as an added perk!

Thank you so much for doing this James! You're the best!

Anonymous said...

I've noticed you haven't posted anything about the video downloads on your blog yet, so I thought I'd comment here instead.

The second I saw where the video was available for download I bought it and watched it on my TV while I was painting (digitally, however) as soon as it was finished downloading.

It seems you planned for this video for quite a while seeing as you have videos on YouTube from a while back now showing bits of what appeared like when the art director showed up to pick up the paintings.

I thoroughly enjoyed the video. It showed a good range of techniques. Hopefully you make enough off of these to do more!

I've already bought a ticket for the live show, too. Great stuff!

Angela R. Sasser said...

I've posted a reply to this exciting news over at Muddy Colors, but I'm re-posting here to share my excitement directly.

I was so excited to see this offering, James! I can't wait to pick this up for myself and apply the lessons, therein. If it's anything like your amazing books, I'm sure I'm in for a treat! I learned so much from the written word and can't wait to see it all in live action.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!