Monday, January 9, 2017

RIP James C. Christensen


I'd like to acknowledge the passing yesterday of artist and teacher James Christensen (1942 – Jan. 8, 2017), who created images of myth and magic that were infused with meaning. I met him several times in early 1990s, and he was a pioneer of bringing fantasy art to a mainstream audience.

He wrote: “Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world.” —A Journey of the Imagination: The Art of James Christensen

5 comments:

Tom Hart said...

That's a wonderful quote, and I'm enchanted by his work. Do you know what medium he generally worked in and/or do you know of any references that discuss his technique?

Timothy Bollenbaugh said...

My condolences. James, in the Basset's main cabin, is that your Dinotopia Map? Also, as Tom said, painfully little information is available about this person. James G. and James C. are two of my most studied resources, and many to whom they hearken to.

Sincerely,
Tim

Unknown said...

Ahhhh this makes me so sad. I absolutely love his work. I have his Men and Angels book and love it. Wow just terrible.

Unknown said...

@Tom Hart, I believe he used egg tempera quite a bit and oils, but Mr Gurney may know more than I.
-Ryan

Unknown said...

Amazing qoute.